The Côa Valley Archaeological Park is located in the Upper Douro, and has extensive evidence of this region’s ancestral occupation dating back to pre-historic times.
It was during occupation by the Roman Empire that the wine culture began to develop in our region.
In 1756, the Marquis of Pombal defined and regulated the Douro Superior wine region, an unprecedented initiative that placed this area at the forefront of modern winemaking regions and denominations, which today still inspires the organisation of new wine regions all over the world.
The original landscape was dominated by massive cliffs overhanging the Douro River. In order to grow vines, human labour shaped these into terraces built along the contours of the hillsides, sustained by expanses of schist walls. All of this has led the Douro Superior wine region to be recognised as a World Heritage Site.